Pregnancy and childbirth is a wonderful and marvelous experience and we passionately believe that every woman can believe and feel this too. It’s just sometimes our mind get in way. Feeling fear, apprehension, anxiety and pain is the mind’s way to protect us. I will show you how to communicate with your subconscious and how to embrace pregnancy and childbirth the way nature intended so every ‘mum to be’ can feel confident, positive and in control during her pregnancy and childbirth.
Personalised one to one sessions are really important, tailored to you and your model of the world. Your childbirth experience will be unique, so should your birthing preparation. This is particularly important if you have a previous birth which was traumatic.
The birth of your baby needn’t be like other people’s experiences. Each mother is different and each baby is unique. We give you a set of mental tools, including techniques for managing discomfort. Our goal is to enable you to feel calmer, more in control and more positive than you otherwise might whatever is going on and wherever you may be.
We believe chemical pain relief and/or medical intervention can be positive options confidently chosen at the right moment for mother or baby and part of a good experience of birth.
We believe in normalising birth, which means birth is a natural process that women’s bodies have evolved to be able to do. The body does know how and one of our key tasks is to help you to trust your body and its instincts so that it can perform its task as smoothly as possible
By the end of your sessions, you may be surprised just how much your mind-set has shifted, so that you can look forward to childbirth in a much more relaxed way than before. You’ll have taken your mind and body through so many positive mental rehearsals for the birth that your body can be “primed” to go through its natural process very smoothly.
The benefits of the Confident Childbirth Programme
Before the Birth
- The experience of pregnancy becomes more enjoyable and exciting process as you learn to think more positively about labour and delivery
- The skills you learn enable you to relax, look after yourself and cope more calmly with challenges such hospital waiting rooms
- Self-hypnosis helps you to get to sleep easier and get back to sleep quickly if your nights are disturbed
- Cognitive Hypnotherapy is proven to be very effective in lessening and, in many cases, totally diminishing the physical symptoms often suffered by mums to be; this includes morning sickness, heartburn, aches & pains and fatigue.
During Labour and Delivery
- Being positive and calm with a range of pain control techniques to use, you’re much less likely to need chemical painkillers.
- Research shows that labour is likely to be significantly shorter
- Research also shows that there’s a much reduced likelihood of forceps, ventouse, or Caesarean section
- You’ll have learned a proven method for communicating with medical staff which means you’ll feel involved in any decisions that are made as labour progresses
- You’ll have a range of tools and visualisations to use so that you can stay positive and comfortable
After Your Baby is Born
- Your baby is likely to have a higher Apgar score (measurement of wellbeing immediately post-delivery)
- Reduced use of pain medication means reduction of undesirable side effects for mother and baby.
- You’re likely to need a shorter hospital stay and have a quicker postnatal recovery.
- Reduced incidence of post-natal depression.
- Many mothers report that their babies are calmer and feed and sleep better due to their gentle passage into the world.
- Self-hypnosis and relaxation aid breast-feeding
- Your new tools can help you cope more easily with family life and get more easily back to sleep during any disturbed nights
Studies have shown that starting reflexology by 32 weeks can reduce the need for induction by 70% as well as reduce labour time down to just 4 hours, thus reducing the impact of stress and anxiety allowing your body to naturally and effectively prepare for childbirth. Certainly my experience as a maternity reflexologist reflects this. Reflexology is relaxing and has a soothing effect on both mind and body. Not only does it help prepare for a timely and straightforward birth, it is also a great way to help manage both the physical and emotional pressures many experience during pregnancy.
If you pass your due date and don’t relish the idea of medical intervention with a drug-induced labour, leading to the sudden onset on painful and in some cases non productive contractions, an alternative may be considered. Reflexology may stimulate the release of oxytocin by the body to encouraging the onset of uterine contractions naturally, keeping the mother in control, and is more effective than a hot curry. I have a very high success rate with previous clients.
Reflexology is also effective for pain management during labor.